Sierra Leone National Museum
It is located in central Freetown at the intersection of Siaka Stevens Street and Pademba Road. The Sierra Leone Society Museum opened in 1957 as a ‘learned society’ whose members included colonial officials and prominent members of Freetown’s Krio community. When the Sierra Leone Society folded in the mid-1960s, the museum was taken over by Sierra Leone’s Monuments and Relics Commission and Ministry of Tourism and Cultural Affairs, becoming the Sierra Leone National Museum.
Sierra Leone National Railway Museum
In 2005, the Sierra Leone National Railway Museum opened in Cline Town. It was inaugurated by Alhaji Dr. Ahmad Tejan Kabbah, former President of the Republic of Sierra Leone. Friends of the Sierra Leone National Railway Museum, based in the United Kingdom, support the museum. There are numerous displays of old photographs, tickets, maps, and timetables, in addition to the various preserved locomotives and carriages.
Sierra Leone’s Peace Museum opened its doors at the end of 2013, just over ten years after the country’s decade-long conflict ended. The Museum is a permanent national institution dedicated to preserving the truth, honoring the conflict’s many victims, and promoting lasting peace on the site of the Special Court of Sierra Leone (SCSL). The Peace Museum features a memorial to victims, an exhibit that documents and narrates the history of the war and the peace process, and an archive and law library with an unrivaled collection of documents relating to the conflict, including public records from the SCSL and the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. The Museum also functions as a training facility, helping to strengthen the justice sector long after the war.