Friday, May 22: Top 10 Business & Finance News Must Reads
1. African Cities Make It to the World's Elite List
According to a report titled Global Cities Index (GCI) and Outlook for 2015, some of Africa's cities have been included in a list of the world's most elite cities.
Source: CNBC Africa
2. 'Africa is the New China When It Comes to Art'
How the big business of African art from countries such as Ghana and Kenya are influencing the world and bringing big business to the continent.
Source: Business Insider
3. Akon Launches Academy To Help Provide Electricity To 600 Million People In Africa
Learn more about Akon's "Akon Lighting Africa" initiative. It aims to "bring electricity to some of the 600 million Africans who lack it."
Source: The Huffington Post
4. Entrepreneur-Led Development: A New Model for Africa
"Entrepreneurship is the most effective way to establish true prosperity. Only entrepreneurship can create sustainable wealth – the wealth that comes from employment and ownership, and that results in thriving markets and a healthy society."
Source: Ventures Africa
5. An Integrated Africa Will Require Effective Cross-Border Payment Solutions
Why Africa has made integration a priority to make more effective cross-border payment systems.
Source: Ventures Africa
6. Five Common Mistakes to Avoid When Setting up a Business in Africa
Here are five common mistakes aspiring entrepreneurs (as well as first-time investors in the continent) make when embarking on the journey to build a businesses in African countries.
Source: How We Made It In Africa
7. Rising Inequality Holding Back Economic Growth, Report Warns
"The widening gap between haves and have-nots in much of the developed world not only raises concerns about the fraying social fabric, it's also dramatically holding back economic growth."
Source: Voice of America
8. The Lure of Sisi
Despite a fiery political climate, Egypt's economic numbers are high and surprisingly bringing investment.
Source: The Economist
9. Africa Must Seize the Opportunity to Develop its Own Aviation Industry & Boost Regional Integration
Why growth of the aviation industry can effect economic growth and emergence of the middle class, including the current high demand for services linked to air transportation.
Source: Africa Business
10. Lagos StartupWeek Hopes to Become ‘Next Big Thing’ in Africa’s Tech Ecosystem
With Lagos is fast becoming a startup powerhouse in Africa, there is no surprise the second fastest growing city in Africa is gaining attention for its social media week.
Source: Venture Burn