Friday, February 27: Top 10 Arts & Culture Must Reads
1. The Oscar-Nominated 'Pirate' Working to Bring Good Fortune to Somalia
An Oscar nominated film role catapulted Barkhad Abdi into the spotlight, and he's now using his fame to champion a brighter future for his home country of Somalia.
2. Behind David Adjaye's Facades
A new documentary provides an interesting perspective on the work of famed architect, David Adjaye, by profiling the people who occupy the buildings he's designed.
Source: Design Indaba
3. George Osodi's Royal Portraits of Nigerian Monarchs
Nigeria is home to quite a few royals, and photographer George Osodi's portraits capture the colorful personalities that occupy the thrones.
4. North African Cuisine Helps Melt Winter Away
If you've had more winter than you can stand, it's time you break out the tagine and treat yourself to a delicious and warming North African dish.
Source: The Boston Globe
5. The Playlist: African Pop - Eddy Kenzo, Ntjam Rosie, Nneka and More
The Guardian gives us their picks of the top new releases on the African pop charts.
Source: The Guardian
6. Mothers & Daughters in Design
Learn about the creative mother and daughter team behind fashion accessories brand, One of Each.
Source: Design Indaba
7. The Mahoyo Project: A Feminist Network of DJs & Creatives in Johannesburg and Stockholm
Breaking stereotypes and forging connections is the mission of the Mahoyo Project, which brings women from Scandinavia and South Africa together and fosters empowerment and enhanced creativity.
8. Paul Duncan Invites You Into the Very Private Spaces of South African Artists at Home
A new book from Paul Duncan gives us a peak into the homes and lives of some of South Africa's most creative people.
Source: Books Live
9. Hirut Yosef Celebrates Strong African Women in 'Chalom Yashan' at Jewish Community Center
Artist Hirut Yosef is an Ethiopian Jew, with a history of strong, female role models, who she chooses to honor in her latest exhibition in Atlanta.
10. How South African Food Finds Markets Around the World
Learn more about biltong and how its appeal is fast spreading across the globe.
Source: AFK Insider