Friday, April 18: Arts & Culture Top 10 Must Reads
1. Nigeria's History Problem Needs The Light From Half of a Yellow Sun
The recent release of the film not only highlights the wonderful writing of its author, but it shines a light on a dark moment in Nigeria's history. Find out what the film can teach.
Source: The Guardian
2. Brotherhood of Braai: How BBQ Brings South Africans Together
It's more than just barbecue. Why South Africa's love of braai is a culture cutting through the country's divided lines and right into hungry stomachs.
3. Art Sales: African Art Rescued From Obscurity
Learn more about the business of art collection, and, more specifically, how one collector's interest in the continent's artists has produced a collection lining the Saatchi Gallery in London.
Source: The Telegraph
4. Ranking Africa's 20 Best World Cup Goals
Check out this slideshow of top moments African soccer fans are sure to remember. Did your favorite goal make the list?
Source: Bleacher Report
5. New African Photography: Sabelo Mlangeni
Check out samples of the young photographers work which not only reflects on South Africa's past but captures the realities of its fast-moving and developing future.
Source: This Is Africa
6. 10 Best Novels About Africa
An eclectic collection of 10 stories that depict Africa and it's people. Find out which authors' works made the cut.
Source: The Telegraph
7. There is More to Lesotho Than Blankets, Mountains and Horse Rides
Watch this clip of the film, “The Forgotten Kingdom.” Find out how its lead character, Atang, challenges stereotypes of lesser known Lesotho.
Source: Africa Is A Country
8. Neneh Cherry To Narrate Africa Music Doc
The Swedish artist is set to lend her voice to the narration of "Fondo," a documentary about club music on the continent.
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
9. Paul Sika Speaks On The Influence of Cinema, Video Games & Manga Comics w/ Prêt-À-Poundo
Okayafrica spoke with the 29-year-old visual artist. Learn more bout him, including details about his style of photography and how he fell in love with the craft.
10. Roasted Plantain, Fried Pastries and Sheep's Head: African Street Food
The tasty, mouth-watering delicacies found on an African street corner near you. Here's a great round up of the best treats for locals and travelers to eat.