Job Posting – Content and Social Media Manager
Africa.com is looking for an editor to join its Content Team. You will work with the Senior Editor to curate and publish Africa.com’s highly popular Top 10 Daily News, as well as the Top 10 current events, business, travel, and arts and culture newsletters, which are published weekly. You will also have primary responsibility for all social media platforms and content marketing through SEO, content optimization, and content partnership outreach, among other avenues. You will create listicals and write other original content as needed.
The ideal candidate will have experience in online marketing of content to grow our audience using SEO and other user acquisition strategies.
On a typical day, you are likely to …
- Read African news sources widely, and curate the Top 10 Daily News, keeping in mind geographic diversity of sources and stories; publish the newsletter across several platforms; and analyze performance of prior days’ newsletters.
- Analyze the performance of a current Facebook campaign promoting recent original content; present the results to the CEO with suggestions for improvement; and implement your suggested changes.
- Analyze recent traffic to and interaction with new content and send report to Senior Editor.
- Plan and schedule posts across multiple social media platforms.
- Monitor comments on Africa.com and across external platforms, replying as appropriate.
- Have a conference call with the Senior Editor regarding the editorial calendar and upcoming content partnerships.
- Begin curation of weekly Top 10 newsletters for later in the week.
- Follow up with technology team on recent development changes and their impact on SEO, user experience, and audience interaction.
You can do this job if you are …
- Dedicated to sharing African stories across the continent and the world
- Passionate about the continent and African news
- Always reading the news, aware of current trends, and looking for different perspectives and views
- A self-starter and self-motivated
- Able to work independently
- Able to communicate effectively with a team across multiple time zones
- Extremely attentive to, and driven by, deadlines
- Excellent at written communication
- Eager to pick up new skills
- A degree in journalism or African-related studies preferred though not required
- Prior experience in digital content marketing required
- Prior experience in content curation and generation preferred
- Excellent written English
The Company: Africa.com is run by a team of highly driven professionals, all passionate about sharing the varied stories of Africa across the continent and the world. We like each other. We work hard. We enjoy working hard together to produce high quality products. We have a high profile in our space, and participate in many conferences, launches, and other professional/social events.
Location and Hours: This job can be done virtually, and does not require you to be near an Africa.com office. Africa.com has offices in Johannesburg, Lagos and New York. Please specify in your application where you are located. This job can be full time or part time. It will require you to be available outside of normal business hours in your time zone. Please specify in your application whether you are applying for a full time or part time assignment, and what else you may be engaged in.
Compensation: You will be compensated in line with your qualifications and experience.
To Apply: Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 1st, 2015:
- Cover Letter, outlining your motivation and relevant experience. Include examples of your work, such as websites you have worked on, published work or articles, blogs, social media or marketing campaigns, portfolio, or anything else of relevance that will support your application.
- CV with full contact information
- Curate a Top 10 Weekly News Must Reads (see examples at www.africa.com/newsletter/weekly-news/):
- Select 10 Africa-related news articles from the last seven days from multiple news sources to compile the week’s Top 10 Weekly News newsletter.
- Summarize each story in no more than 60 words, and list them from 1 – 10 in order of importance.
- Pay special attention to geographic diversity of news items as well as news sources.