Submitting your suggestions is easy. Simply create a Disqus profile in the comments section below (or log into your existing account) and leave your suggestions in the comment box. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for updates between now and January 1st.
Africa.com’s Top 10 for 2010 List
1. Elections or referendums were held in nearly 20 countries, of which only one gave rise to serious contention or conflict (Cote d’Ivoire).
2. Walmart, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Daimler, and Barclays all announced major expansions inside South Africa in a year in which the world began to pay attention to the economic victories occurring across the African continent. (Photo of Harare City below)
3. Seventeen different countries on the African continent celebrated 50 years of independence.
4. Even though Spain beat the Netherlands to claim the FIFA World Cup championship, South Africa was the real victor because the games were peaceful and well organized, exceeding many people’s expectations.
5. The 10th anniversary of AGOA, the African Growth and Opportunity Act.
6. The Student Sponsorship Programme in South Africa celebrated its 10th anniversary of providing high quality high school educations to bright but needy students.
7. Africa.com launched on February 12th!
8. The Global Africa Project opened at the Museum of Arts and Design in New York City and showcased for the world that there is a “psychic and a physical space known as Africa.”
Now help us complete the list! Suggest the 9th and 10th items for this list in the comments section below by December 31st. We will choose our favorites and annouce the winners!